Fresh Cranberry & Eggnog Christmas Muffins
Ho ho ho! Christmas is just around the corner and we are all SO excited here at Wean Meister HQ. We know that Christmas can sometimes be a hectic time, the kids need entertaining, presents need wrapping, the house needs cleaning and EVERYONE needs feeding!
This Christmas muffins recipe is the perfect solution to a speedy but festive breakfast that you can make the night before, and zap in the microwave in the mornings to warm up for the kiddies. You can also eat them cold! They’re a lifesaver if you are heading off somewhere early and need brekkie on the go, or if you just have a million and one things to do in the morning – because snack slave does not need to be one of them!!
If you don’t want to use walnuts in this recipe or if you want to make it as a dessert, try replacing them with choccie chips instead. And if you don’t like eggnog, try using regular buttermilk.
Don’t forget that our freezer pod trays are oven proof so you can use them as your muffin trays, which means you don’t need to faff around with muffin papers! Our trays make the perfect sized muffins and are so easy to clean because of the flexible high grade silicone. For this recipe you’ll need to use two trays, or reduce your quantities to fit the mixture into one.
Make sure you don’t over mix your batter! Stop mixing once the dry and wet ingredients are well incorporated, otherwise your muffins might be tough! And don’t forget to preheat your oven before you put the batter in as this helps it rise.
We hope you enjoy your Christmas Muffins!
Serves: 20 (use 2 of your freezer pod trays)
Prep Time: 10 m
Cook Time: 15 m
- 2 cup, chopped – cranberries, raw
- 1/2 cup – sugar
- 1 1/2 cup – flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup – honey
- 1 tablespoon – baking powder
- 1 teaspoon – salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon – nutmeg
- 2 large – egg
- 1 1/2 cup – eggnog
- 2/3 cup – coconut oil
- 1/2 cup – walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190 celcius) and get your freezer pod trays ready for action! If you don’t have any, line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped cranberries and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add all other ingredients and stir just until combined. NOTE: Make sure your eggs are room temperature and your coconut oil is melted.
- Add sugared cranberries and gently fold in.
- Fill the freezer pod tray or liners full and then bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Serve warm or cool – or reheat them another day in the microwave!
Thanks to the lovely people at Super Healthy Kids for the recipe inspiration!