With Winter fast approaching and the cold nights firmly setting in, there’s nothing better than an afternoon baking with the kiddies to keep them entertained (and well fed!).
Gone are the days we used to gorge on Grandma’s fairy cakes that were packed with sugar and naughties, as there is so much more awareness on what we should and shouldn’t be feeding our children these days.
So we decided to bring you 3 super healthy, super easy recipes for yummy and *dare we say it* healthy muffins! There’s two words we never thought we’d see together!
Top tip: you can use your Freezer Pod moulds to bake all of these healthy muffin recipes as they are oven proof up to 240 degrees! That means no more searching high and low for your baking tin, no greaseproof paper or cake papers needed, the muffins pop out of the silicone with no fuss and the moulds can be cleaned easy peasy. You can also use our spatulas to help you with your mixing! Enjoy!
Banana, berry and yoghurt breakfast muffins (serves 12)
- 2 cups buckwheat flour (you could also use wholemeal or spelt flour)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup natural or greek style low fat yoghurt
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds optional
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and stir well
- In a smaller bowl, mix eggs, honey, olive oil, yoghurt and vanilla
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well
- Add mashed banana and berries and gently fold through (it’s ok if the mixture is a little lumpy)
- Spoon mixture into your Freezer Pod tray or a greased muffin tray
- Place in the oven and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes
- Test that they are fully cooked by gently inserting a skewer into one of the muffins before removing from the oven
Easy Zucchini Muffins (serves 12)
- 1 ½ cups zucchini grated, 375g
- 1 carrot grated, 80g
- 125 g tinned corn
- 1 Onion finely diced, 90g
- 100 g thinly sliced leg ham chopped
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour 170g
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 cup grated cheese 130g
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cook the onion in a non stick fry pan. Allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 holes of your Freezer Pod tray or a greased muffin tray
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Great served hot or cold.
Healthy Chunky Chocolate Muffins (serves 12)
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- 8 oz – Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup – almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup – honey
- 1 tsp – vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup – wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup – cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 cup – chocolate chips, dark
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- In a large bowl, add bananas and mash well. Add eggs, greek yogurt, milk, honey, and vanilla. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips to the wet mixture; stir just until combined. Avoid over mixing.
- Fill your Freezer Pod tray or greased muffin tins evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Thanks to the wonderful ladies at Healthy Mummy and Super Healthy Kids for the healthy muffin recipe inspiration: